The door of this landmark building, when built in 1891, featured a fan light and side lights with elaborate leaded glass, which were removed in the 1960’s. Our project was to reconstruct the original leaded glass pattern, based on photographs found in the Harvard University Archives.
This new building, adjacent to old barns, echoes the character of the island’s farmhouses and barns. Inside are an exhibit area, meeting room, classroom, and archival storage for books and collections. The building’s form embodies its purpose.
This beloved building was originally designed by Boston architect Edmund March Wheelwright in 1909. A century after its completion, the Castle retained much of its original character, but required exterior refurbishment, a new fire egress, and interior improvements.